Starting in the late 1800's, San Jose became infatuated with cycling and bicycle racing. In 1908, the San Jose Mercury decided to profile some of these early pioneers. This profile of "Dick" Moody (E.A. Moody), is one of a series of articles written.
Although “Dick” came into this world too late to pedal one of the big “ordinaries" with Al Col, the late Julius Smith, Oscar and George Osen and their comrades and rivals, he adopted the “safety" when it first appeared as his favorite method of locomotion. "His first bicycle weighed 91 pounds, yet by dint of considerable conscientious training he managed to finally acquire speed enough to shove this contraption close to the three-minute mark and win his novice race about 20 years ago. This was the first victory for “Dick” in a successful racing career. He followed the California circuit for several seasons and won a total of 48 prizes.
"DICK" MOODY, who owns a controlling interest in the handsome new plant erected at the corner of Ninth and Santa Clara streets and which is known as the Parisian Dye Works, was one of the most popular cycle riders on California tracks as well as one of the most successful in the heyday of cycling.
Finally his business demanded his entire attention to the utter exclusion of the manly sport and the San Jose wheelmen’s club, Mr. Moody is an architect of considerable ability and designed his own home in the Naglee Park tract as well as the new two-story building at the corner of Ninth and Santa Clara streets. where the Parisian Dye Works is housed.
Although this 1908 article mentions the Parisian Dyeing and Cleaning works was at Ninth and Santa Clara, it is hard to find a reference to it on a Sanborn map in 1915. However, other 1906 articles mention the dye works location at 1st and DeVine St and this location is recorded on the maps. I have yet to find the exact location of "Dick" Moody's house in Naglee Park.
San Jose Mercury News, 17 March 1908